It Takes a Community part one

 There are a lot of us single parents out here. I probably know of more absent moms than anything. It is just so sad that these kids don't have what my girls have, but at the same time, my girls have missed a whole lifetime without a dad, so they've missed a lot too.  I think it's a God-given responsibility when you are blessed with a boy.  You have been given the opportunity to turn him into a Man. A man that will create more men and carry on the family line, but also a man who will lead his family, and hopefully, as God intended it--lead his family into a relationship with God, and ultimately heaven.

I could go on a whole week about where are the dads and why are kids staying kids and not learning responsibilities, etc... but I digress. 

This week was a fun one. This is where the community comes in. One of the coaches, realizing that Lynn was struggling with remembering his plays, pulled Meghan aside and asked her to help him study them.  Meghan took her task to heart and fell to pieces when Lynn said he didn't want to come over and study with her. She said, "The coach is counting on me!  If he messes up, it will look bad on me, and I will let him down!"  So The Boy finally agreed to come over.

"Mom!  I don't know anything about football!  How I am supposed to teach him his plays??"

"You want me to get the spice rack down so you can go over them with him like SJ did with Michael?"

Scenes from The Blind Side

As they were going over the plays, Meghan comes running to my room. "Mom! Can you translate this for me?"
"What is he saying?"
Lynn says, "All I am saying is that the center hikes the ball to the quarterback from the line of scrimmage."
So I point to a line on the floor tile and explain that the line of scrimmage is the line where the football goes. I plopped a slide down on the line and got down in my stance..."The center is the one who does this..." and hiked the shoe between my legs. Then I stood up and made like I was going to pass the shoe. "And the quarterback does this. Do you see now?"

So they studied while they ate.  Raising a football team or any athletes takes a whole community. And they have to eat. And he came over the next night to study some more.

So this time we are grilling him on the plays, and Meghan exclaims when Lynn gets one wrong, "It's so bad that I understand football now!"  She can tell when he calls one wrong.

All I can see is 

Now it will be interesting to see if Meghan pays attention on Friday night. It will be interesting to see if she is really concerned about the plays or what's happening. The one thing she wants to know is when is Lynn on the field and when is he hurt.

It's been a fun week so far, and I enjoy every minute of my boy who hugs me and says, "As long as you cooked it, it will be great."

And hopefully our season opener will be a W!!

GO BEARS GO!
#BEARDOWN



Comments