Much on my plate

 I came home tonight and crawled into bed with a sleeping sixteen year-old who draped her arm around me and snuggled in.  Even in her slumber, she knew I needed a hug.

Today was a hugely busy day for me and all of us. What started with an epic mom fail at 6:15 am ended in a sweet moment between mother and daughter.  And the irony of it is that I didn't see this kid for most of the day.

Today was move-in day for the soccer team at Faulkner University. My oldest, Erin, was to join the ranks today as goalie, and it was her first day reporting to the field...they said....thank goodness they found a classroom. August in Alabama is not for the faint of heart.  Erin had to be on campus by 2 pm, so she was planning on leaving the house by 9...her last day ever to sleep in.

Today was also the first Saturday in August...traditionally since 1980, the day of the Woodstock 5K race in Anniston.  Meghan, the youngest, is on the cross country team at Lincoln. We were to leave the house by 6 am for course walk-through. The start of the race was at7:30.  I did not set my alarm. Meghan's dad was already at the race and looking for us.  As would turn out Meghan and her buddy Joey both made an excellent start to their cross country season, and the team one first place in the most-members category.  And for the first time in 16 years, I could actually look at my ex husband and say, "I'll take one and you take the other."

It was my job to bring the fridge and the microwave to the university. I was to meet Erin and Lindsey there, we were to help her unpack, she was to go to that meeting for the soccer team, and we would go to eat. Time seemed to move so slowly today. Maybe because I was enjoying each moment. Erin and Lindsey have a good relationship and they clown. Lindsey and I are learning each other too, so we were clowning on Erin as well. We got all the twinkle lights set up and all the boxes broken down in two hours, but it seemed like much longer. Erin reported to her meeting while Lindsey and I toured a bit of the campus. 

Erin found out at the meeting she would have to eat dinner with the team, so Lindsey and I went on to eat at Baumhower's, and Erin met us later.  We found out her number is 26, and she only has to compete with one other goalie on the team. It dawns on me now that because the other goalie is very young, 17, she may also be immature. Erin may win the spot because of her maturity as much as her talent.  Who knows?

When I talked to Meghan on my way home, she seemed a little down, and maybe lonely. I got home way later than I intended and I wasn't there to put the pretty clips in her hair that her daddy had bought her. I felt bad I couldn't be there for her, but I was glad she got to do all the things today and spend time with her dad. It was nice to snuggle in for a bit with her and have a quiet moment. 

"Tomorrow is another day", Scarlett O'Hara says.Maybe it will be a good one too.





Comments